Simla Simla was built in 1885 for Toowoomba Solicitor Charles William Hamilton, his wife Mary Ann Hamilton and was home for their 7 children.
Simla stood in an elevated position facing north and was located near what is now the intersection of Simla and Bridge Streets in Mount Lofty.
Simla was a private residence until the end of World War 1 when it was leased to the Red Cross who turned it into a convalescent home for soldiers with tuberculosis.
The patients at Simla were encouraged to take part in many different activities and the mock wedding ceremony was one of these activities.
The Red Cross vacated Simla in the late 1930’s and then it became a private residence again until 1954, when the house was demolished, and the land subdivided and sold.

Mock wedding
Blog by Luca Greenleaf – Historic Homes Toowoomba